qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cannot launch QEMU with -accel whpx

From: Wang Wenchao
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cannot launch QEMU with -accel whpx
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 18:47:15 +0800

Hi, Justin,

We are interested in WHPX but haven't got it to work. We were able to build QEMU with WHPX support. We used MSYS2 build environment plus two libraries (WinHv*.lib) from the latest Windows 10 SDK Insider Preview to build QEMU and added '--enable-whpx' parameter in config. But when we ran it on Windows with Hyper-V on, QEMU failed to be launched.

The command to launch QEMU is as below,

> qemu-system-x86_64.exe -accel whpx

The following errors were output from the command line,

qemu-system-x86_64.exe: WHPX: No accelerator found, hr=00000000
qemu-system-x86_64.exe: failed to initialize WHPX: No space left on device

We analyzed the issue and found when invoking the Windows Hypervisor Platform API WHvGetCapability(), it returned whpx_cap.HypervisorPresent with FALSE and then WHPX failed to initialize. Do you have any suggestion on that? Thanks.

We build and run QEMU on the same machine. Below are its specs,

Windows OS: Windows 10 Insider Preview
Windows edition: Professional
Windows version: 1803 (OS build 17133.1)
SDK version: 10.0.17125.0

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Best Regards,
Wenchao