qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [sw-dev] The problem of write misa on QEMU and BBL

From: Zong Li
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [sw-dev] The problem of write misa on QEMU and BBL
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:33:11 +0800

>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information. The new CSR system is helpful for custom
>>> CPU such as ours. Thanks.
>>>
>>> In the future, maybe we can do something like this in BBL for flexible
>>> custom platform which has own device to control the timer, ipi and so
>>> on.
>>>
>>> Back to the misa problem in BBL, at fp_init in BBL initial phrase, the
>>> assertion will has problem because the bits of misa will not be
>>> cleared.
>>>
>>> the code piece like below:
>>>     uintptr_t fd_mask = (1 << ('F' - 'A')) | (1 << ('D' - 'A'));
>>>     clear_csr(misa, fd_mask);
>>>     assert(!(read_csr(misa) & fd_mask));
>>>
>>> I think that the assertion is not necessary even the clear misa.
>>

>> I agree. The specification makes no guarantee that misa writes are not
>> ignored so it is legal for a processor that supports FD to drop misa writes
>> and the assertion will trigger on legal RISC-V implementations. That code
>> piece does not support legal RISC-V implementations that can't disable F and
>> D. Disabling F and D should not be asserted because it is harmless if an
>> unused extension is present.
>

> The problem is that BBL cannot cope with this inconsistent scenario.  If pk
> is compiled with to assume no floating-point, there had better be no
> floating-point.  If you remove the assertion, it will break in other ways
> later during in execution.
>
> If you don't want the assertion to fire, compile BBL to match the ISA.

It make sense, but the BBL support three scenarios here.
1. Not support floating-point
2. Support floating-point and ISA also supported
3. Support floating-point and ISA not supprted

Only the third point is not working for now because the problem we discussed.

static void fp_init()
{
  if (!supports_extension('D') && !supports_extension('F'))      <---- (1)
    return;

  assert(read_csr(mstatus) & MSTATUS_FS);

#ifdef __riscv_flen
                <----(2)
  for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++)
    init_fp_reg(i);
  write_csr(fcsr, 0);
#else
                       <----(3)
  uintptr_t fd_mask = (1 << ('F' - 'A')) | (1 << ('D' - 'A'));
  clear_csr(misa, fd_mask);
  assert(!(read_csr(misa) & fd_mask));
#endif
}

So if we need to match the BBL and ISA,
maybe we should remove the code about scenario 3 or just remove the
assertion when
misa is implemented by ignoring write anything.