qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -icount changes physical address assignments in QEMU 2.

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -icount changes physical address assignments in QEMU 2.10/2.11
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 15:05:53 +0100

On 22 March 2018 at 05:31,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Your patch (applied to 2.11 source release) changed the behavior
> somewhat, but did not fix the problem.  Attached is a binary that when
> run should show a CGA fontset and color bars.
>
> This command should "work":
>
> qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt,virtualization=on -cpu cortex-a53 -vga std
> -device secondary-vga -device virtio-net,netdev=vlan0,addr=2 -kernel
> icount-bug.bin -netdev user,id=vlan0
>
> If you add "-icount 2" the display will appear, but be mangled.
>
> I didn't spend too much time trimming the source code, so if you need
> to step by step debug walking through the guest code, I'll have to
> prune it down some more.
>
> For the record, the QEMU source I have is modified slightly to add ARM WFE
> support, something I will submit once this is all straightened out,
> but this bug appeared before I made that patch.

Hi; sorry for the delay in testing this. I've just tried your
attached test image with current head of git QEMU (commit
0e87fdc966d05f4e5ad86, which is the 2.12.0-rc2 release candidate),
and it gives me a correct display both with and without -icount 2.
So I think we've fixed this bug, probably with the combination
of commits 0790f86861079b19 and 87f963be66a3245, or possibly
a75a52d62418da.

thanks
-- PMM