qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] virtio-vhost-user: add virtio-vhost-user devi

From: Wei Wang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] virtio-vhost-user: add virtio-vhost-user device
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 18:19:13 +0800

On 01/24/2018 07:40 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 09:06:49PM +0800, Wei Wang wrote:
On 01/23/2018 07:12 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:09:06PM +0800, Wei Wang wrote:
On 01/19/2018 09:06 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

   - Suppose in the future there is also a kernel virtio-vhost-user driver as
other PCI devices, can we unbind the kernel driver first, and then bind the
device to the dpdk driver? A normal PCI device should be able to smoothly
switch between the kernel driver and dpdk driver.
It depends what you mean by "smoothly switch".

If you mean whether it's possible to go from a kernel driver to
vfio-pci, then the answer is yes.

But if the kernel driver has an established vhost-user connection then
it will be closed.  This is the same as reconnecting with AF_UNIX
vhost-user.

Actually not only the case of switching to testpmd after kernel establishes
the connection, but also for several runs of testpmd. That is, if we run
testpmd, then exit testpmd. I think the second run of testpmd won't work.
The vhost-user master must reconnect and initialize again (SET_FEATURES,
SET_MEM_TABLE, etc).  Is your master reconnecting after the AF_UNIX
connection is closed?

Is this an explicit qmp operation to make the master re-connect?

I'm thinking about caching the received master msgs in QEMU when
virtio_vhost_user_parse_m2s().
Why is that necessary and how does QEMU know they are still up-to-date
when a new connection is made?

OK. I think that's not needed if the master can reconnect.

Btw, I'm trying to run the code, but couldn't bind the virito-vhost-user
device to vfio-pci (reports Unknown device), not sure if it is because the
device type is "Unclassified device".
You need to use the modified usertools/dpdk-devbind.py from my patch
series inside the guest.  Please see:
https://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2018-January/088177.html

Thanks. I haven't got time on this yet due to some more urgent things. I'll try.

Best,
Wei