qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/14] Migration pull request

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/14] Migration pull request
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 10:59:30 +0100

Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/03/2018 03:38 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This are the changes for migration that are already reviewed.
>>
>> Please, apply.
>>

>> Alexey Perevalov (6):
>>       migration: introduce postcopy-blocktime capability
>>       migration: add postcopy blocktime ctx into MigrationIncomingState
>>       migration: calculate vCPU blocktime on dst side
>>       migration: postcopy_blocktime documentation
>>       migration: add blocktime calculation into migration-test
>>       migration: add postcopy total blocktime into query-migrate
>
> I had unanswered questions about these patches in the v12 series, where
> I'm not sure if the interface is still quite right.

To be fair, I had alroady integrated the patches before I saw your questions.

> We're still early
> enough that we could adjust the interface after the fact depending on
> how the questions are answered;

I think this is the best approach, so far I can see two questions:

- do we want to make it conditional?  it requires some locking, but I
  haven't meassured it to see how slow/fast is it.

- the other was documentation.

I will like Alexey to answer.  Depending of how slow it is, I can agree
to make it non-optional.

> but we're also early enough that it may
> be smarter to get the interface right before including it in a pull
> request.  I'll leave it to Peter and Juan to sort out whether this means
> an updated pull request is needed, or to take this as-is.

Thanks, Juan.