qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt-users] Inter Shared Memory ( Ivshmem ) : Canno

From: Martin Kletzander
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt-users] Inter Shared Memory ( Ivshmem ) : Cannot Bind
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:34:17 +0100

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 03:03:34PM +0800, Rogue S.T wrote:
Hello, friends.
I encounter a problem when i use ivshmem with my guest, my ivshmem server is
not start, and output a error : Example code, do not use in production ,cannot
bind.

Detail distribution:
Today, I know ivshmem from a topic "QEMU version 2.10.93 User Documentation",
Ivshmem: it can create a shared memory that guest device use, so we can use
this memory to do something ourselves.
First, I create host memory backend:
    -object
memory-backend-file,size=1M,share,mem-path=/dev/shm/ivshmem,id=hostmem
Twice, Bind a shared memory device to my guest:
   -device ivshmem-plain,memdev=hostmem

You are using plain, but

Then I boot ivshmem servi
   ivshmem-server -p /var/run/ivshmem-server.pid  -S /tmp/ivshmem_socket  -M
ivshmem -m /dev/shm -l 1M -n 2

You are running a server.  This is not how it works.

Looks like you are playing with something that you don't really need, otherwise
you would do things differetly.  It you are just trying it out, that's fine.
Otherwise make sure it's what you need.  More information on how this hot mess
works is here:

https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=docs/specs/ivshmem-spec.txt

Next time i get this error:
   *** Example code, do not use in production ***
   cannot bind
And i search the problem on google, but nothing to get, hope you can help me
solve it.
following message is my host environment:
   host:  ubuntu 1604
   qemu:  version 2.10.90 (v2.11.0-rc0-dirty)
   libvirt:  libvirtd (libvirt) 3.9.0
   guest:    window 7 professor

Refer:
   https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#Inter_002dVM-Shared-Memory-device