qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-devel archive search was missing some messages but

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-devel archive search was missing some messages but it's fixed now
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 21:37:42 +0100

Hello Ian,

On 12/04/17 21:02, Ian Kelling wrote:

> General thoughts about the archive: I'm looking forward to us upgrading
> to mailman 3 at some point which will bring an improved archive
> interface.

Do you mean HyperKitty?

Will you seek out community feedback on it first?

> Of course, you can always download the archive and search it
> on your local computer.

The one HyperKitty instance that I can readily look at is:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/address@hidden/

It only offers the following download options:

- "Past 30 days (mbox)"
- "This month (mbox)"
- "Entire archive (mbox)"

Maybe it's configurable site by site, but I find this lacking compared
to: "download whichever month you want, in isolation", which is offered
by mailman2:

ftp://lists.gnu.org/qemu-devel/

If someone needs it all, the latter remains easy to script with wget,
for example.

(Back to my original point -- judged similarly from the fedora devel
archive, I find HyperKitty hardly usable for normal reading, and I think
it will completely fail for patch series threads and the discussions
under them. HyperKitty is a step towards social media in my opinion, and
as such inappropriate for development lists (again, IMO). I'm happy to
learn otherwise, of course -- are there good counter-examples where
HyperKitty has worked out fine, for archiving email-based patch traffic
and development discussion?)

NB: my opinion on this likely doesn't matter, as I'm not a heavy
qemu-devel contributor.

Thanks
Laszlo