qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:39:24 +0100

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:26:14 +0100
Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23/11/2017 13:09, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:05:33 +0100
> > Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Yes, more or less.

> >> Yes, HVF can come later.
> >
> > This switch sounds like something we can easily do for the next
> > release; I'd hope that anyone explicitly requiring tcg already
> > specifies it.
>
> I seriously doubt that.  Most people are probably using a
> distro-provided qemu-kvm script for KVM, and qemu-system-x86_64 for TCG.
>  In fact, that is probably the best of both worlds for anybody who
> doesn't compile its own QEMU; and since KVM is Linux-only, there are
> very few non-developers in the intersection of "compile its own QEMU"
> and "use KVM".

I'm wondering how many people want to run e.g. x86_64-on-x86_64
_without_ using an available kvm (and I expect those people to
explicitly specify tcg).

> And in fact that is the main reason why have never bothered switching
> the default... only RHEL does it, because it ships the QEMU binary as
> qemu-kvm rather than qemu-system-xxx plus a wrapper script.
>
> Perhaps we could:
>
> 1) look for "qemu-{kvm,hvf,hax}" in argv[0] and change the "-accel" default?
>
> 2) change "make install" to install one or more of qemu-kvm/hvf/hax
> based on target architecture and OS.
>
> Then distros can do away with the script and Windows/Mac users can learn
> to use qemu-hvf and qemu-hax.

I'm not sure I like that. For me, qemu-kvm comes with the connotation
of "there used to be a fork of qemu for kvm usage, and we stuck with
the name because it is likely scattered through scripts".