qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Abnormal observation during migration: too many "write-

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Abnormal observation during migration: too many "write-not-dirty" pages
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:23:52 +0000

* Chunguang Li (address@hidden) wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I remember that, and my TODO list told me it was you :-)

> It was me. After that, I did more analysis and experiments. I found that, in
> fact, both reasons contribute to the "fake dirty" pages (dirty pages that do
> not need to be resent, because their contents are the same as that in the
> target node). One is what I pointed out last year, which you have mentioned.
> The other reason is what I am talking about now, the "write-not-dirty"
> phenomenon.
> In fact, according to my experiments results, the "wirte-not-dirty" is the
> main reason resulting to the "fake dirty" pages, while sync'ing the whole of
> memory contributes less.

How do you differentiate between "fake dirty' and the syncing?

The cases where values change back to what they used to be seem
the most likely to me (e.g. locks/counts that decrement back) - but
that seems a high %.
I wonder if there's any difference between page write protection
based dirtying and PML (that I think can be used on some newer chips).

One way to debug it I guess would be to keep the write protection
and watch the progression of data values within a page - do they
actually change and then change back or do the values never
really change.

Dave