qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/11] Disassembler patches

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/11] Disassembler patches
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:29:59 -0300

> Do we really expect make/configure todo the right thing when going
> backwards in time ?

"Yes"? Ideally at least :)

> I've always assumed that if you go back in time
> when you need to do a 'git clean -f -x d' and re-run configure from> scratch.
I certainly don't do that and would rather not have to think about it.

I also don't think about calling it when bisecting, however looking at
the man page, this is somehow suggested in the example:

·   Automatically bisect with temporary modifications (hot-fix):
[...]
        # undo the tweak to allow clean flipping to the next commit
        git reset --hard

This could be a warning displayed via a post-checkout hook, for this
particular merge hash, or if you go way too back in time...

> Certainly in the past various makefile changes in QEMU would> break, or
> silently not correctly recompile stuff when going backwards
> in time.

Travis is already taking too long, but we could add a such test
(merge/build/checkout backward/configure/quick build), not sure if we
gain much.