qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] PCI Passthrough + AMD + NPT

From: geoff
Subject: [Qemu-devel] PCI Passthrough + AMD + NPT
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:47:57 +1100

Hi All,

I have started to dig into why ntp seems to slow down graphics performance on AMD systems using PCI passthrough and figured I would report what I have so far discovered. I have noted the primary point of failure seems to be specifically with PhysX. This is why people only see a slow down in certain games, not
everything uses PhysX.

Using FluidMark[1] the problem is immediately obvious, showing extremely low FPS on light/medium workloads with ntp enabled, and extreme fluididy and high
FPS with ntp disabled.

Switching nVidia to use CPU makes no difference to the performance when ntp is enabled, which seems to indicate that PhysX is falling back to CPU due to
a failure of some kind to initialize.

With ntp turned off, and nVidia set to use the CPU for PhysX I see an
identical performance drop off in FluidMark as I see when ntp is enabled, this
would seem to confirm this suspicion.

Since other features such as APIC is only available if ntp is enabled, it
could be something down stream of ntp that is getting disabled as a
consequence of turning off ntp. It might be interesting to see if we can get some diagnostics information out of PhysX to see what if any error or debugging
information it might provide when it falls back to CPU.

1: http://www.geeks3d.com/20130308/fluidmark-1-5-1-physx-benchmark-fluid-sph-simulation-opengl-download/

Kind Regards,
Geoffrey McRae