qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/6] enable numa configuration before machine_init

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/6] enable numa configuration before machine_init() from HMP/QMP
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:44:35 +0200

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 10:59:11 -0200
Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 06:18:59PM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 17:09:26 +0100

> Also, note that in the case of NUMA, having identifiers for CPU
> objects themselves won't be enough. NUMA settings need
> identifiers for CPU slots (even if they are still empty), and
> those slots are provided by the machine, not created by the user.
>

> > > The sockets/cores/threads topology of CPUs is something that comes from
> > > the libvirt guest XML config
> > in this case things for libvirt to implement would be to know following
> > details:
> >    1: which machine/machine version support which set of attributes
> >    2: valid values for these properties depending on machine/machine
> > version/cpu type
>
> The big assumption in this series is that libvirt doesn't know in
> advance how the possible slots for CPUs will look like on each
> machine-type, and need to query them using
> query-hotpluggable-cpus.
yep, that's true and it started with introduction of 'device_add cpu'
where libvirt didn't new what to specify as options for new cpu,
hence query-hotpluggable-cpus were added to provide that information.

> But if this assumption was really true, it would be impossible
> for the user to even decide how the NUMA topology will look like,
> wouldn't it?
>
> Igor, are you able to give one example of how the user input
> (libvirt XML) for configuring NUMA CPU binding could look like if
> the user didn't know yet what the available sockets/cores/threads
> are?
not sure I parse question but looking at libvirt's domain docs
it mentions
  <numa>
    <cell id='0' cpus='0-3' memory='512000' unit='KiB'/>
    <cell id='1' cpus='4-7' memory='512000' unit='KiB' memAccess='shared'/>
  </numa>

here libvirt assumes that there are cpus with cpu-index in range 0-7
/and probably duplicates logic that calculates cpu-index/
If libvirt would continue to duplicate logic we could skip on
implementing early runtime QMP in QEMU and also drop support for
query-hotpluggable-cpus as libvirt would be able to compute
properties/values on it's own.