qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for ARM CP15 registers via GDB interface of qem

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for ARM CP15 registers via GDB interface of qemu
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:53:39 +0100

On 22 September 2017 at 11:39, Abhijit Ray Chaudhury
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I want to view ARM CP15 register sets via gdb when I am emulating arm.
> However I only see ARM Core Register Sets and NEON registers through
> gdb interface.
>
> Can you please let me know how to add cp15 register set support using
> gdb interface in qemu.

This isn't currently implemented in QEMU, though it would be a
nice idea. We have wishlist bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/741115
about this, though that was filed in 2011 which will give you an
idea of how likely it is to be implemented.

The implementation would be moderately but not insanely complex:
we would need to generate XML in the gdbstub that describes the
registers by enumerating them in the cpreg hashtable. Hopefully
gdb would then be able to handle the registers we describe to
it that way. Likely pitfalls along the way:
 * our gdbstub currently breaks if the XML fragment is too large,
   so that bug would need to be fixed first
 * The coprocessor register descriptions currently assume things
   like the register name string are for debug purposes only,
   so there are probably duplicate names or otherwise unhelpful
   things in there -- these would need to be located and fixed

I thought I remembered somebody talking about having a go at
implementing this, but I can't find anything with a search through
the qemu-devel mail archive, so I guess I'm mistaken.

thanks
-- PMM