qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Where is the VM live migration code?

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Where is the VM live migration code?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 13:49:44 +0100

* Aditya Bhardwaj (address@hidden) wrote:
> My lab setup is: 3 HP Servers each of 4 GB RAM. Server 1 and Server 2:
> installed with Virtualization using KVM on Redhat 6.5 System. On top of
> this I am using libvirtd for managing virtual machines. NFS server is
> installed on Server 3 for shared disk image. VM migration is working
> correctly. Now i need to do some changes in "migration.c" but did not find
> any source code of KVM-QEMU migration.
>
> Where I can find the migration source code for KVM-QEMU. All are requested
> to help me for this issue.

Migration is quite big - so take a step back first and understand how
a migration works before diving into the code too far.
First I'd suggest going for something newer than 6.5 - it has a very
very old QEMU on it;  If you can upgrade to a 7.x it'll make your life a
lot easier for building and working with current code.

The current QEMU has a whole migration/ subdirectory with quite a bit of
code, and there's also some kernel code that helps, and code in
individual devices.

Then there's also the code in libvirt that drives it.

A lot of code - so the trick is to figure out what you want to change
and then find the right place.

Dave