qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] How to make ELF headers/symbol sections available for multi

From: Anatol Pomozov
Subject: [Qemu-devel] How to make ELF headers/symbol sections available for multiboot?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:28:34 -0700

Hi

I am looking at x86 multiboot code and trying to add "ELF section
header" info feature. This will let target to learn more about booted
binary and its sections.

I have a draft here
https://github.com/anatol/qemu/commit/ad943a6eb78feee048b6bb2a1e5f49f5b686e24c

My understanding is that qemu multiboot loads only TEXT/BSS/DATA
sections. Other stuff like symbols sections and ELF headers are not
available for target.

So I need to perform 2 things:

 - Load ELF section headers into target's memory. I did by appending
additional space to mbs.mb_buf and copying header data. Is it the best
way to do?

 - Next I need to load other ELF sections such as symbols (e.g.
.shstrtab) that store section names. What is the best way to do in
multiboo.c code? Would it make sense to load all ELF sections?

Thanks in advance.