qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:33:37 +0800

On Fri, 07/28 02:46, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi Fam,
>
> On 07/17/2017 03:35 AM, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > So far we have these tests running by patchew on each patch series:
> >
> >    * Docker tests
> >      Basically it is
> >          make address@hidden \
> >               address@hidden \
> >               address@hidden"
> >
> >    * checkpatch.pl
> >      Each patch is fed to ./scripts/checkpatch.pl and all errors are
> > reported.
> >
> >    * s390x
> >      It runs on a machine shared by Fedora team, basically only
> > "./configure and
> >      make", because "make check" hanging is tricky to deal with from an
> >      automation perspective. (Ideas?)
> >
> >    * FreeBSD
> >      Like s390x.
> >
> [...]
> > Q4: Any other improvements/features you want? (E.g. some documentation? :)
>
> I'm unsure if someone already asked about it, but is it possible to sort the
> tests, like:
> - fastest/cheapest
> - more likely to fail
> - ...
> - scarce resources at last
>
> And abort/send report on first failure.

Different hosts run tests in parallel, currently they are three: FreeBSD, Fedora
s390 and Fedora x86_64, and there isn't a strict order between them.

Also I'm not sure it's a good idea to _not_ run build tests if checkpatch test
fails.

One thing I agree is that checkpatch reports should be generated as soon as
possible, which is not the case at the moment. Thanks.

Fam