qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] qemu-ga: support for sending events

From: Tomáš Golembiovský
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] qemu-ga: support for sending events
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:51:11 +0200

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:55:31 -0500
Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06/23/2017 08:02 AM, Tomáš Golembiovský wrote:
> > This is just a draft, or a request for comments if you will.
> >
> > This patch sets drafts the support of sending events by QEMU Guest Agent.
> > Events can plan important role in monitoring of the guest OS behaviour. The
> > range of use cases ranges from events important for scheduling, e.g. memory
> > and
> > CPU usage statistics, to things like changes to IP addresses on network
> > interfaces to for example changes in the list of active users.
> >
> > For now the patch set adds single periodic callback function to the GA main
> > loop that can perform checks and trigger events that have occured since
> > previous run of the callback.
>
> How do we guarantee that the guest cannot flood qemu with too many events?
>
> Obviously, qga is already used where we (in general) trust the guest to
> not be malicious, but we still have to assume that a guest can be
> compromised, and will try to abuse qga to escape to an attack against qemu.

If you mean situation where something in guest will be triggering events
that qga will be sending then we can implement some throttling in qga. I
belive qemu does something similar for QMP events.

But if you're considering situation where something kills qga and will
attach itself to the serial channel then this is of course more
complex issue.

--
Tomáš Golembiovský <address@hidden>