qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] change x86 default machine type to Q35?

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] change x86 default machine type to Q35?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 12:49:07 +0200

On 07/05/17 08:57, Chao Peng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Q35 has been in QEMU for quite a while. Compared to the current default
> i440FX, Q35 is probably not that mature and not widely used, however in
> some case, Q35 has advantages, for example, in supporting new features.
> For instance, we have some features require PCI-e support which is only
> available on Q35 and some others need it for EFI support.

To be a bit more precise: OVMF's default upstream build works fine with
i440fx. But, if you build OVMF with "-D SMM_REQUIRE" -- which is
required for making "-D SECURE_BOOT_ENABLE" actually secure --, then you
do need q35 (the firmware binary won't even boot on i440fx past a
certain point), because only q35 provides SMM emulation.

Thanks
Laszlo