qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 24/29] vhost+postcopy: Lock around set_mem_table

From: Maxime Coquelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 24/29] vhost+postcopy: Lock around set_mem_table
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 21:34:09 +0200

From: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert"<address@hidden>

**HACK - better solution needed **
We have the situation where:

      qemu                      bridge

      send set_mem_table
                               map memory
   a)                          mark area with UFD
                               send reply with map addresses
   b)                          start using
   c) receive reply

   As soon as (a) happens qemu might start seeing faults
from memory accesses (but doesn't until b); but it can't
process those faults until (c) when it's received the
mmap addresses.

Make the fault handler spin until it gets the reply in (c).

At the very least this needs some proper locks, but preferably
we need to split the message.

Yes, maybe the slave channel could be used to send the ufds with
a dedicated request? The backend would set the reply-ack flag, so that
it starts accessing the guest memory only when Qemu is ready to handle
faults.

Note that the slave channel support has not been implemented in Qemu's
libvhost-user yet, but this is something I can do if we feel the need.

Maxime