qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" device flushing
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 14:17:03 -0400

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 09:26:00PM +0530, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
> We are sharing initial project proposal for
> 'KVM "fake DAX" device flushing' project for feedback.
> Got the idea during discussion with 'Rik van Riel'.

CCing NVDIMM folks.

> [...]
>   for disk read/write. This results in big memory footprint
>   of guests without host knowing much details of the guest
>   memory.
>
> * If guests use direct access(DAX) with fake persistent
>   storage, the host manages the page cache for guests,
>   allowing the host to easily reclaim/evict less frequently
>   used page cache pages without requiring guest cooperation,
>   like ballooning would.
>
> * Host manages guest cache as ‘mmaped’ disk image area in
>   qemu address space. This region is passed to guest as fake
>   persistent memory range. We need a new flushing interface
>   to flush this cache to secondary storage to persist guest
>   writes.
>
> * New asynchronous flushing interface will allow guests to
>   cause the host flush the dirty data to backup storage file.
>   Systems with pmem storage make use of CLFLUSH instruction
>   to flush single cache line to persistent storage and it
>   takes care of flushing. With fake persistent storage in
>   guest we cannot depend on CLFLUSH instruction to flush entire
>   dirty cache to backing storage. Even If we trap and emulate
>   CLFLUSH instruction guest vCPU has to wait till we flush all
>   the dirty memory. Instead of this we need to implement a new
>   asynchronous guest flushing interface, which allows the guest
>   to specify a larger range to be flushed at once, and allows
>   the vCPU to run something else while the data is being synced
>   to disk.
>
> * New flushing interface will consists of a para virt driver to
>   new fake nvdimm like device which will process guest flushing
>   requests like fsync/msync etc instead of pmem library calls
>   like clflush. The corresponding device at host side will be
>   responsible for flushing requests for guest dirty pages.
>   Guest can put current task in sleep and vCPU can run any other
>   task while host side flushing of guests pages is in progress.
>
> Host controlled fake nvdimm DAX to avoid guest page cache :
> * Bypass guest page cache by using a fake persistent storage
>   like nvdimm & DAX. Guest Read/Write is directly done on
>   fake persistent storage without involving guest kernel for
>   caching data.
>
> * Fake nvdimm device passed to guest is backed by a regular
>   file in host stored in secondary storage.
>
> * Qemu has implementation of fake NVDIMM/DAX device. Use this
>   capability of passing regular host file(disk) as nvdimm device
>   to guest.
>
> * Nvdimm with DAX works for ext4/xfs filesystem. Supported
>   filesystem should be DAX compatible.
>
> * As we are using guest disk as fake DAX/NVDIMM device, we
>   need a mechanism for persistence of data backed on regular
>   host storage file.
>
> * For live migration use case, if host side backing file is
>   shared storage, we need to flush the page cache for the disk
>   image at the destination (new fadvise interface, FADV_INVALIDATE_CACHE?)
>   before starting execution of the guest on the destination host.

Good point.  QEMU currently only supports live migration with O_DIRECT.
I think the problem was that userspace cannot guarantee consistency in
the general case.  If you find a solution to this problem for fake
NVDIMM then maybe the QEMU block layer can also begin supporting live
migration with buffered I/O.

> Design :
> ---------
> * In order to not have page cache inside the guest, qemu would:
>
>  1) mmap the guest's disk image and present that disk image to
>     the guest as a persistent memory range.
>
>  2) Present information to the guest telling it that the persistent
>     memory range is not physical persistent memory.

Steps 1 & 2 are already supported by QEMU NVDIMM emulation today.

>  3) Present an additional paravirt device alongside the persistent
>     memory range, that can be used to sync (ranges of) data to disk.
>
> * Guest would use the disk image mostly like a persistent memory
>   device, with two exceptions:
>
>   1) It would not tell userspace that the files on that device are
>      persistent memory. This is  done so userspace knows to call
>      fsync/msync, instead of the pmem clflush library call.

Not sure I agree with hiding the nvdimm nature of the device.  Instead I
think you need to build this capability into the Linux nvdimm code.
libpmem will detect these types of devices and issue fsync/msync when
the application wants to flush.

>   2) When userspace calls fsync/msync on files on the fake persistent
>      memory device, issue a request through the paravirt device that
>      causes the host to flush the device back end.
>
> * Guest uses fake persistent storage data updates can be still in
>   qemu memory. We need a way to flush cached data in host to backed

s/qemu memory/host memory/

I guess you mean that host userspace needs a way to reliably flush an
address range to the underlying storage.

>   secondary storage.
>
> * Once the guest receives a completion event from the host, it will
>   allow userspace programs that were waiting on the fsync/msync to
>   continue running.
>
> * Host is responsible for paging in pages in host backing area for
>   guest persistent memory as they are accessed by the guest, and
>   for evicting pages as host memory fills up.
>
> Questions :
> * What should the flushing interface between guest and host look
>   like?

A simple hack for prototyping is to instantiate an virtio-blk-pci for
the mmapped host file.  The guest can send flush commands on the
virtio-blk-pci device but will otherwise use the mapped memory directly.