qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU travis builds: can we move the preseed tarball to

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU travis builds: can we move the preseed tarball to qemu.org ?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 12:19:57 -0400

On Apr 25, 2017 11:55 AM, "Alex Bennée" <address@hidden> wrote:

Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 04:24:18PM +0100, Alex Bennée wrote:
>>
>> Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I'm curious how much speed difference there is in seeding the git
submodules
>> > in this way vs letting git pull down from git.qemu.org directly ?
>>
>> It was quite high from what I recall, exacerbated by the fact we have
>> quite so many submodules. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that easy to go
>> back in the history of the tests to find out so I'll have to re-run the
>> test:
>>
>>   https://travis-ci.org/stsquad/qemu/builds/225648653
>>
>> So roughly 62s without a seed vs 15s with. I presume the seed is also
>> cached by Travis's web-caching.
>
> Wow, yes, that is quite a difference !
>
> I wonder if Travis' arbitrary sub-dir caching feature would help us to
> the same extent, while avoiding need to manually maintain the preseed.
>
>   https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/caching/
>
> It just caches entire content of a given subdir between runs. First time
> it would be slow, but presumably fast thereafter, and any time the
submodule
> gets new updates, those would get cached too

Maybe but I think the cwd of the build (and therefor the git tree) is
user and project name dependent, e.g.:

  PWD=/home/travis/build/stsquad/testcases

But we could certainly try.

--
Alex Bennée

I do currently have an async script that runs for qemu.git, that is
triggered by a post-receive hook.   Currently, it just does a push to
GitHub, so that the mirror is updated in real-time.  It would be pretty
trivial to have it also compose a tarball as well.

Jeff