qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NetBSD maintenance

From: Kamil Rytarowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NetBSD maintenance
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:49:12 +0200

On 24.04.2017 12:12, Peter Maydell wrote:
> Upstream we're definitely going to drop SunOS/Solaris support unless
> somebody provides us with a machine we can do build/test on.
> DragonFly BSD is in my "let's see if anybody complains" list.
> OpenBSD is also in this "let's see" list but it seems more plausible
> that somebody will complain (and I have a VM setup for it; it
> doesn't pass 'make check' at the moment so the first step there
> will be for somebody to investigate and send fixes.)
>
> The motivation here is that we would rather like to get rid of
> things like #ifdef __NetBSD__ in our sources (in favour of doing
> checks in configure for presence/absence of particular functions
> and acting accordingly), and also avoid using "uname" to figure
> out our compile target. That's very likely to break platforms
> we can't test on, so the idea is to identify which platforms
> people do care about, and make sure we are testing them, and
> then not worry about breaking anything that we aren't testing.
>
> Also I think it doesn't do our users any favours to claim to
> support platform Foo if in fact it doesn't even compile.

I can only speak for pkgsrc, qemu/Illumos (SmartOS) is actively maintained.

I have got an access to an Illumos machine for pkgsrc developers. Once I
will sort out NetBSD issues I will test qemu over there. I cannot speak
for Oracle Solaris and other proprietary Operating Systems.

I should get shell account for myself for DragonFly and Minix within 2
months.

I cannot maintain non-NetBSD targets beyond occasional and trivial
patches thought.

I will keep upstreaming small chunks of patches for NetBSD and let's see
how it will go. Thanks for help!