qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-arm] [patch 1/1]about armv8's prefetch decode

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-arm] [patch 1/1]about armv8's prefetch decode
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:35:35 +0000

On 25 March 2017 at 02:22, Wangjintang <address@hidden> wrote:
> the patch regard the prefetch as load instruction, at the same time
> don't affect rm/rt register. Only the PRFM instruction been emitted to
> intermediate code and do a really load, then we can get the memory
> address relative to the prefetch instruction. Because the rm/rt register
> don't been modified, so the application can run correctly.

It will still fault if the address is not valid, which is
not a permitted behaviour.

> In our case, we need all the instruction trace & ld/st instruction's
> access memory address, the trace as the input for chip cycle-accurate
> model. Similar with flexus + qemu.
> Current code that skip generate prefetch instructions' intermediate code,
> So we can get prefetch instruction, but can't get the prefetch instruction
> relative memory address.

I understand the use case you would like, but if we want
to support that kind of thing we should do it with a much
more significant and consistent degree of support for
tracing of guest code actions, not with a small ad-hoc
change that happens to fix the immediate thing you're
running into for your specific problem.

thanks
-- PMM