qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Pipe

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Pipe
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 14:58:08 +0000

Hi

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:42 PM Jiahuan Zhang <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with you about win_chr_poll(). But what I wonder is how to write
> data into the pipe for the host to get. I see "writeFile()" in
> "win_chr_write()", but have no idea how to use it. Or I have to write
> something for this writing. In this case, I don't know what the right
> buffer pointer for WriteFile() is.
>
> Any clue is greatly appreciated!

According to the documentation, it "creates a single duplex pipe at
\\.pipe\path", you'll have to open and write to it from a different
application. I don't know if there are console applications that can open
pipe you can use, you'll have to do some research or write one!

On 1 March 2017 at 15:25, Marc-André Lureau <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Jiahuan Zhang <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> Dear QEMU developers,
>
> I want the host-guest communication for QEMU. I want to achieve
> it via serial port redirection to a pipe. My host is windows and guest is
> Linux. QEMU is in version 2.8.50
>
> I looked into char-pipe.c and char-win.c, and find that the current QEMU
> only supports reading data on the pipe from host to guest for Windows.
> See *win_chr_pipe_init
> () *in char-pipe.c
>
> Is it true?
>

> Not exactly, for some reason, the win-chr-pipe uses a poll, win_chr_poll()
> that read from the pipe and write to the frontend (the vm serial).  I
> haven't tested the windows pipe implementation, only the console one, but
> it looks like it should work. Hopefully someone using qemu on windows can
> help you.
>

> I don't know how to use *win_chr_write() *in char-win.c.
> Can you please present an example?
>
> best regards,
> Jiahuan
>
> --