qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 3a6c9 breaks QEMU on FreeBSD/Xen

From: Roger Pau Monné
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 3a6c9 breaks QEMU on FreeBSD/Xen
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:05:29 +0000

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 01:30:02PM -0800, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > The following commit:
> > >
> > > commit 3a6c9172ac5951e6dac2b3f6cbce3cfccdec5894
> > > Author: Juergen Gross <address@hidden>
> > > Date:   Tue Nov 22 07:10:58 2016 +0100
> > >
> > > xen: create qdev for each backend device
> > >
> > > Prevents me from running QEMU on FreeBSD/Xen, the following is printed on
> > > the
> > > QEMU log:
> > >
> > > char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label serial0)
> > > xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
> > > can't open gnttab device
> > > xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
> > > can't open gnttab device
> > >
> > > # xl create -c ~/domain.cfg
> > > Parsing config from /root/domain.cfg
> > > libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2201:device_model_spawn_outcome: Domain
> > > 32:domain 32 device model: spawn failed (rc=-3)
> > > libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1506:domcreate_devmodel_started: Domain
> > > 32:device model did not start: -3
> > > libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2315:kill_device_model: Device Model already
> > > exited
> > > libxl: error: libxl.c:1572:libxl__destroy_domid: Domain 32:Non-existant
> > > domain
> > > libxl: error: libxl.c:1531:domain_destroy_callback: Domain 32:Unable to
> > > destroy guest
> > > libxl: error: libxl.c:1458:domain_destroy_cb: Domain 32:Destruction of
> > > domain failed
> > > # cat /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-domain.log
> > > char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label serial0)
> > > xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
> > > can't open gnttab device
> > > xen be core: xen be core: can't open gnttab device
> > > can't open gnttab device
> > >
> > > I'm not really familiar with any of that code, but I think that using
> > > qdev_init_nofail is wrong, since on FreeBSD/Xen for example we don't yet
> > > support the gnttab device, so initialization of the Xen Qdisk backend can
> > > fail
> > > (and possibly the same applies to Linux if someone decides to compile a
> > > kernel
> > > without the gnttab device). Yet QEMU can be used without the Qdisk
> > > backend.
> >
> > How did you manage to configure QEMU before? The configure script had
> > xc_gnttab_open calls in it up to Xen 4.6.
>
> I know the answer! Because the configure script only compiles the code,
> doesn't try to run it. xc_gnttab_open compiled correctly but returned
> error when executed. Is that right?

Yes, I'm quite that's right. FreeBSD is using gnttab_unimp.c, which implements
xengnttab_open, so compilation will not fail.

> > I am happy to support a use case where the kernel doesn't have gntdev,
> > but it needs to be explicit: we need to detect it in the configure
> > script, then avoid the initialization of devices which require it.
>
> I would still prefer configure to be able to detect this case. If it
> cannot be made to detect it, then we can try to figure out a way to
> catch the initialization errors at run time.

I think it's better to simply fail to initialize Xen Qdisk at runtime, or else
a xen-tools/QEMU compiled on a non-Xen environment won't get gnttab and as a
consequence Xen Qdisk support enabled, and I think it's quite common for
distros to compile Xen packages on non-Xen environments (where /dev/xen/gnttab
is not available).

Roger.