qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.9 00/11] Move target-* CPU file into a targe

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-2.9 00/11] Move target-* CPU file into a target/ folder
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:28:20 -0600

On 11/30/2016 11:37 AM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 01:47 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> The first patch is the most important one here, it prepares the
>> build system to be able to deal with both, target-xxx and target/xxx
>> folders. Once that has been applied, each target architecture
>> could be moved to the target/ folder when it is convenient for the
>> subsytem maintainer to do the move (i.e. we do not have to move all
>> files immediately in one go). So if we agree to do this change and
>> the first patch has been committed, I could rather send the following
>> patches step by step to the maintainers so they can queue the patch
>> for their subsystem for a good point in time. And new architectures
>> like RISC-V and AVR could start in the target/ folder immediately
>> instead.
>
> I don't see why we need to support both target-xxx and target/xxx/.
> Let's just move everything all at once.

As a hack introduced at the start of the series and pulled out at the
end, it makes total sense, in order to divide the series into more
manageable and reviewable chunks.  But I agree that by the end of the
series, we should be back to only one naming convention, not two,
otherwise this is just another unfinished project.