qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] my attempt at new QEMU website
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:05:58 -0500

On 10/20/2016 08:57 AM, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> I'm thinking icons and logos for operating systems could be on the
>>> emulator's page that can run that emulator. Maybe a few links to HD
>>> image files of preinstalled operating systems would help the user too.
>>
>> Using official icons/logos from various OS vendors/products is likely to
>> stumble into trademark usage restrictions/problems, whereby you need to
>> get permission for usage from the trademark holder. As such it is best
>> to avoid using any logos unless they're clearly under a trademark rule
>> that allows us to use them.
>
> So what you are saying is we can't display a Windows logo or an Apple logo? I
> am sure I have seen plenty of websites with these logos displayed. If we
> can't use the offical logo/icon, maybe someone could make an unofficial one.

[you may want to teach your mailer to wrap long lines]

You are correct that we don't want to risk displaying someone's logo,
because they could turn around and complain that their logo is only to
be used on products they endorse but that we don't meet their criteria
for endorsing.  In legal matters, it's better to ask permission first,
than to deal with fallout for violating terms, but since permission can
be lengthy to obtain and difficult to document, it's simpler to just
avoid the matter altogether.  But your suggestion to use an unofficial
logo is even worse - drawing one ourselves that is different than the
official logo is legally questionable because it infringes on the
trademark protections of the original.

Just because other sites are taking a legal risk doesn't mean that we
have to follow their ill-advised actions.  Or maybe those sites HAVE
obtained written permission.