qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU - Security Research Questions

From: Joey Connelly
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU - Security Research Questions
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 18:10:11 -0600

Hey QEMU dev group,
I'm a graduate student at Boise State University working on my thesis
involving Virtualization/Cloud Computing Security and I wanted to ask a few
questions:

*[QUESTION#1.]* From within a guest KVM/QEMU process (qemu-system-x86_64
-enable-kvm) can the VM invoke commands on its host - either through QEMU
Monitor Console commands, or by some other means I'm unaware of?

*[QUESTION#**2.]* Can a host administrator running a guest KVM/QEMU process
have QEMU Monitor Console commands invoked on that guest VM if *no*
"-monitor" option was used?

*[QUESTION#**3.]* If a host admin creates a KVM/QEMU process with the
"qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -netdev tap,<...>" options is there a
KVM/QEMU specific way to query the "tap,<...>" information later after the
process has been created? (assuming your admin account maintains ring 0
permissions)

Thanks for your time,
-Joey