qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] top(1) utility implementation in QEMU

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] top(1) utility implementation in QEMU
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:42:17 +0200

Fam Zheng <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 09/30 19:08, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Fam Zheng <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Yes, but compared to a guest that is busy enough to be analyzed with
>> > qemu-top,
>> > I don't think this can be a high degree, even it's at a few events per
>> > second.

>> > qemu-top is supposed to run only in foreground when human attends. So I'm
>> > not
>> > concerned about the system wide overall overhead.

>> > Just another idea: my original though on how to send statistics to
>> > 'qemu-top',
>> > was a specialized channel like a socket with a minimized protocol (e.g. a
>> > mini-QMP, with only whitelisted commands, or an event-only QMP, or simply
>> > in an
>> > ad-hoc format).
>>
>> What's the advantage over simply using another QMP monitor?  Naturally,
>> injecting arbitrary QMP commands behind libvirt's back isn't going to
>> end well, but "don't do that then".  Information queries and listening
>> to events should be safe.
>
> In order to avoid a Libvirt "tainted" state at production env, of course
> assuming qemu-top is useful there at all.

Adding another QMP-like protocol seems like a rather steep price just
for avoiding "tainted".

Any chance we can provide this feature together with libvirt instead of
behind its back?

>> Note that we could have a QMP command to spawn monitors.  Fun!
>
> Cool, and how hard is it to implement a QMP command to kill monitors? :)

For spawning, we need to adapt the current spawn code to work after
initial startup, too.  For killing, we need to write new code.  Might be
harder, but can't say until we try.