qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] external usb flash drive support on qemu virtualization

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] external usb flash drive support on qemu virtualization
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:26:10 +0100

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 03:25:26PM +0000, Kumar Girish wrote:
> I am new to virtualization on Linux. Any help and support is appreciated.
>
> Explanation of my current setup
> Procesor : intel atom
> linux kernel : 3.10
> Virtualization at kernel : KVM
> Virtualization at application : QEMU 2.7.0
>
> Problem
> When flash drive(pen drive ) is inserted and mounted, it is mounted and
> visible at host. But same is not visible at guest VM.

The guest hardware is independent of the host hardware.  Devices plugged
into the host do not automatically appear inside the guest.

How to make the flash drive available to the guest depends on how you
are using QEMU.

Are you using a management tool like virt-manager or virsh?
virt-manager has a graphical user interface for passing USB devices into
the guest.  Go to Details | Add Hardware | USB Host Device.

Stefan