qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why Qemu doesn't present L3 cache info for guest?

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why Qemu doesn't present L3 cache info for guest?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 08:46:05 -0400

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 03:09:27PM +0800, Shannon Zhao wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Looking at the codes, for pc-2.4 machine it enables host-cache-info for
> guest so guest can get the L3 cache info of host. But since QEMU has its
> own rule to generate ACPI ID, guest will not use the L3 cache correctly.
>
> I also notice that QEMU present L1 and L2 cache for guest via its own
> rule, why it not present L3 cache info which is consistent with the ACPI
> ID? Are there any downsides?

host-cache-info is there only for compatibility with old behavior
of "-cpu host", but I wouldn't advise anyone to use it. We would
need a proper way to configure cache information exposed to the
guest (including both CPUID and anything that would be exposed
through ACPI), but we don't have one yet.

--
Eduardo