qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/30] cmpxchg-based emulation of atomics

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/30] cmpxchg-based emulation of atomics
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:45:28 +0200

Emilio G Cota writes:
[...]
> - What to do when atomic ops are used on something other than RAM?
>   Should we have a "slow path" that is not atomic for these cases, or
>   it's OK to assume code is bogus? For now, I just wrote XXX.
[...]

You mean, for example, on I/O space? In these cases, it depends on the specific
device you're accessing and the interconnect used to access it.

TL;DR: In some cases, it makes sense to support atomics outside RAM.

For example, PCIe has support for expressing atomic operations in its messages
(I'm sure other interconnects do too). But in the end it depends on whether the
device supports them (I'm not sure if the device can reject atomics and produce
an error to whomever tried to do the atomic access, or if they are simply
ignored).

Cheers,
  Lluis