qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user: add option to intercept execve() syscalls

From: Joel Holdsworth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user: add option to intercept execve() syscalls
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 16:59:01 +0100

On 30/05/16 08:52, Riku Voipio wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 05:07:48PM +0100, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
Considering the messiness this serieas adds to QEMU, I do wonder how
much of win this avoidance really is.
Suggestions on how to make it less messy would be welcome.
If you have permissions to chroot,
you generally have permissions to set binfmt_misc too. Alternatively
these kind of exec manipulations are already done by external tools like
proot and scratchbox.
True. Though I would say that's quite a convoluted solution compared to this patch.

The issue I encountered came when I was trying to run ARM gstreamer unit tests. libgstreamer runs the gst-plugin-scanner helper executable at startup to scan for plugins. However it took me a long time to figure this issue out because in the current behavior linux-user doesn't make it clear what qemu will run all child processes on the host even if they are a different arch.

Adding these patches offers the choice, and makes the situation clearer to the user.

However if you are ready to stay around to maintain it, and nobody else
objects the code, I can merge it.
I'll be around for the time being certainly.

Best Regards
Joel Holdsworth