qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Our use of #include is undisciplined, and what to do ab

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Our use of #include is undisciplined, and what to do about it
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 22:02:33 +0100

On 17/03/2016 21:29, Richard Henderson wrote:
>> > ...Windows is something other than both of those, right?
>> > Or does it use ELF these days?
> PECOFF.  But it still supports named sections, so not a deal-breaker.
> We just don't support old a.out systems (e.g. really old OpenBSD).

FWIW Windows also supports sorted sections.  You could put the "first"
symbol in data.trace_events$AAA, the last symbol in
data.trace_events$ZZZ and the intermediate symbols in
data.trace_events$FOO; the linker would merge them into a single
data.trace_events section and you wouldn't have to ensure the correct
order of the object files on the command line.

It's actually a pretty cool feature.  It makes such linker tricks much
easier to do.  But it's not portable.

Paolo