qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated ...)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:37:29 -0700

On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 22:05 +0800, Yang Zhang wrote:
> On 2016/1/26 15:41, Jike Song wrote:
> > On 01/26/2016 05:30 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > > [cc +Neo @Nvidia]
> > >
> > > Hi Jike,

> > > What's included in the subset?  Certainly the bus reset ioctls really
> > > don't apply, but you'll need to support the full device interface,
> > > right?  That includes the region info ioctl and access through the vfio
> > > device file descriptor as well as the interrupt info and setup ioctls.
> > >

> > [All interfaces I thought are via ioctl:)  For other stuff like file
> > descriptor we'll definitely keep it.]
> >
> > The list of ioctl commands provided by vfio_pci:
> >
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_GET_PCI_HOT_RESET_INFO
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_PCI_HOT_RESET
> >
> > As you said, above 2 don't apply. But for this:
> >
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_RESET
> >
> > In my opinion it should be kept, no matter what will be provided in
> > the bus driver.
> >
> >     - VFIO_PCI_ROM_REGION_INDEX
> >     - VFIO_PCI_VGA_REGION_INDEX
> >
> > I suppose above 2 don't apply neither? For a vgpu we don't provide a
> > ROM BAR or VGA region.
> >
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_GET_INFO
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_INFO
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_GET_IRQ_INFO
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS
> >
> > Above 4 are needed of course.
> >
> > We will need to extend:
> >
> >     - VFIO_DEVICE_GET_REGION_INFO
> >

> > a) adding a flag: DONT_MAP. For example, the MMIO of vgpu
> > should be trapped instead of being mmap-ed.
>
> I may not in the context, but i am curious how to handle the DONT_MAP in
> vfio driver? Since there are no real MMIO maps into the region and i
> suppose the access to the region should be handled by vgpu in i915
> driver, but currently most of the mmio accesses are handled by Qemu.

VFIO supports the following region attributes:

#define VFIO_REGION_INFO_FLAG_READ      (1 << 0) /* Region supports read */
#define VFIO_REGION_INFO_FLAG_WRITE     (1 << 1) /* Region supports write */
#define VFIO_REGION_INFO_FLAG_MMAP      (1 << 2) /* Region supports mmap */

If MMAP is not set, then the QEMU driver will do pread and/or pwrite to
the specified offsets of the device file descriptor, depending on what
accesses are supported.  This is all reported through the REGION_INFO
ioctl for a given index.  If mmap is supported, the VM will have direct
access to the area, without faulting to KVM other than to populate the
mapping.  Without mmap support, a VM MMIO access traps into KVM, which
returns out to QEMU to service the request, which then finds the
MemoryRegion serviced through vfio, which will then perform a
pread/pwrite through to the kernel vfio bus driver to handle the
access.  Thanks,

Alex