qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] proposal: drop support for OSX 10.5 hosts from QEMU 2.6

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] proposal: drop support for OSX 10.5 hosts from QEMU 2.6
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 22:10:10 +0000

Hi. I'd like to propose that QEMU drops support for OSX 10.5 hosts
(and by extension for PPC OSX hosts) starting with QEMU 2.6.

The rationale here is basically that it's not tested at all as
far as I know -- I have been carefully retaining "only if 10.5"
ifdefs in the cocoa UI and audio code as I update it, but since
I have no 10.5 system to compile against it this support is
only theoretical and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find
that it's actually broken. Dropping 10.5 would also allow us to drop
some ifdeffed code paths, but I wouldn't mind carrying them around if
we people were actually using them -- which I suspect nobody is!
OSX 10.5 is now over 8 years old; I think we'd have dropped it
some time ago if it wasn't the last PPC version.

My suggested plan would be:
 * in the 2.5 release notes, announce that support for OSX 10.5 and PPC
   hosts is deprecated and will be removed from QEMU 2.6 unless somebody
   steps forward to help with testing
 * at some point probably a little before 2.6 softfreeze, remove the
   now unnecessary ifdeffery

Any disagreements? Am I wrong about nobody testing QEMU on 10.5?

thanks
-- PMM