qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 29/57] migrate_start_postcopy: Command to trigger

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 29/57] migrate_start_postcopy: Command to trigger transition to postcopy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:36:46 -0700

On 11/10/2015 03:38 AM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Eric Blake (address@hidden) wrote:
>> [adding Markus for a qapi question]
>>

>>>  ##
>>> +# @migrate-start-postcopy
>>> +#
>>> +# Switch migration to postcopy mode
>>
>> No documentation on the relation to the [x-]postcopy-ram capability bit?
>

> One alternative piece of text would be
> 'Switch current migration to postcopy mode; the x-postcopy-ram capability must
> be set before issuing this command.'

Adding that to the .json would be sufficient for me if you don't feel
like naming this x-migrate-start-postcopy - with that sentence, it is
then obvious to the reader that this command depends on an experimental
prerequisite (and when we later rename x-postcopy-ram to drop the x-, we
fix the documentation here).

>>> +#
>>> +# Since: 2.5
>>> +{ 'command': 'migrate-start-postcopy' }
>>
>> Should we rename this command to 'x-migrate-start-postcopy' until we are
>> ready to rename the entire feature to the stable namespace?
>
> If you think it's best we could; however I took the 'x-' on the capability
> just to be a flag to indicate it wasn't yet marked as stable;  I don't
> think we're actually worrying about changes to naming.

I just wanted to make sure there was something right there in the
migrate-start-postcopy docs that made it obvious that we haven't quite
turned this into a fully supported interface yet.  Naming it 'x-' does
that, but I think it is also okay with just the extra sentence about the
pre-req capability bit; and you'll want that sentence anyways even when
the capability bit is renamed.