qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:31:59 +0100

On 16 October 2015 at 15:17, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 16/10/2015 15:36, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> We could add "-d trace:help" to list valid tracepoint names.
>>
>> I think people are mostly going to care about categories
>> (eg "enable tracing for device X", or "enable tracing for
>> all unimplemented features", or "enable a medium level of
>> debug tracing for device Y".
>
> I hadn't thought about levels, but honestly when I use KVM tracing (which
> is often measured in tens of megabytes per run) I don't care.

In a lot of cases, especially with the TCG logging, not enabling
voluminous tracing is really important because if you turn it all
on then the system is way too slow (and can behave differently
as a result), and generates gigabytes of trace output. (-d exec
and -d cpu will do this, for instance.)

thanks
-- PMM