qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:57:53 -0700

On 2015-09-09 10:04:50, Andrew Fish wrote:

> > On Sep 9, 2015, at 9:17 AM, Jordan Justen <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > So, related to this, I wonder how the community would feel about a
> > GplDriverPkg. Would the community allow it as a new package in EDK II
> > directly, or would a separate repo be required?
> >

> I think we would need a separate repo, like the FAT driver. That is
> the only way to deal with the license issues.

There doesn't seem to be any guiding rules here. For example, I think
some people are not comfortable with the FatBinPkg being in the tree
due to the license. Why is that okay?

> > With regards to adding it directly into the EDK II tree, here are some
> > potential concerns that I might anticipate hearing from the community:
> >
> > * It will make it easier for contributors to choose GPL compared to a
> >  permissive license, thereby limiting some users of the contribution
> >
> > * GPL code will more easily be copied into the permissively licensed
> >  packages
> >
> > * Some might refuse to look at EDK II entirely if it has a directory
> >  with GPL source code in it
> >

> Or have their rights to contribute revoked since this is a
> fundamental change, and would require employees to get reauthorized
> by their legal departments to contribute.

We've recently expanded beyond just allowing BSD code into the tree,
and that appeared to be no big deal. No one brought this up as a
fundamental change.

Just to be clear, are you saying Apple probably won't be able to
contribute to EDK II if there is any GPL licensed code in the tree?
(Even if it is contained in a clearly indicated package.) I guess
using dual-licensed BSD/GPL is okay though?
(EmbeddedPkg/Library/FdtLib)

-Jordan