qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:18:09 -0400

On Aug 29, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Max Reitz wrote:

> On 29.08.2015 20:34, MagicCat Software wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 29, 2015, at 2:01 PM, Max Reitz wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> User-friendliness is always expensive,
>>> difficult to maintain, and a neverending source of complaints.
>>
>> Really? It has been months since Peter Maydell implemented my GUI patches
>> for the cocoa interface, and I haven't seen a complaint about it yet.
>
> I just looked into it, and without having an OS X to test it on I have a
> few things to complain about:
>
> (1) 'change' always uses 'raw' as the format, but the selector
> apparently offers you the full range of image formats
> (supportedImageFileTypes).

So far it has worked out just fine. Doesn't QEMU detect the format itself?
If I didn't use raw, what would I use? Is the file extension also the format
type?

> (2) I think it should be possible to add block devices with removable
> media at runtime (I didn't try, though), and also remove them. The
> current code doesn't account for that.

I think block devices should be used also. I use to have a menu item called
"Use real CDROM" in the
machine menu. I will bring it back soon.

QEMU booting up a real hard drive partition? Definitely!

> (3) supportedImageFileTypes is static. The list might change at any time
> and the likelihood of people adding or removing formats there when
> adding/removing them to/from the block layer itself is pretty low. Also,
> the list depends on compile and (in the future at least) maybe even
> runtime options. For instance, it's missing vdi, vhd (vpc), and vhdx.
> vhdx in turn can be disabled at compile time.

I have no problem adding these missing file types.

> (4) NSBeep()? Is that necessary? Won't the alert itself be audible if so
> desired by the user?

Well, alert boxes don't make a sound when they show up. I just wanted to make
sure I caught the user's attention. To answer your question, we don't need
NSBeep().