qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:08:43 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 05:02:17PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Just to be clear - libvirt will *never* use an auto-generated device
> IDs feature. It is way more complicated to let QEMU assign device IDs
> and then auto-detect them from some 'info device-list' output, than
> to just specify IDs upfront at device/object creation time which
> it already does[1]. There is simply no benefit to auto-generating device
> IDs for a mgmt app like libvirt, and plenty of downside.  Auto-generated
> IDs will only be of interest to humans talking to the monitor directly
> without a mgmt app involved.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>
> [1] we don't provide IDs for qcow2 image backing file chain, but that's
>     part of a bigger story that's being dealt with in this area.

This is the part that interests me the most :)

Do you think in dealing with image backing file chains, libvirt would
ever make use of QEMU auto-generated node-names (either in the
current feature set, or with future features)?  I'm not sure if your
above statement is specific to device ID, or extends to node-names as
well.

Thanks,
Jeff