qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] selecting VIRTIO_INPUT and VIRTIO_VGA

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] selecting VIRTIO_INPUT and VIRTIO_VGA
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:08:08 +0200

On 07/20/15 21:06, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
Cc'ing Alex

On 07/13/15 12:15, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 13/07/2015 09:32, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
and virtio-vga is only compiled on 64-bit Intel?
There is virtio-gpu-pci ...

Any specific reason why we need vga compatibility on !x86?
I was actually thinking about 32-bit x86. :)  I agree that !x86 is not
necessary.
I disagree :)

(This is actually my more important followup to this thread; the other
message I just couldn't resist sending.)

Gerd recently contributed virtio-vga support to OvmfPkg/QemuVideoDxe:

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/94210dc9

That support depends on vga compat. All fine.

What's probably not obvious is that I had ported
PcAtChipsetPkg/PciHostBridgeDxe to ArmVirtPkg -- which drives Alex's
generic PCIe host bridge, exposed on qemu-system-(arm|aarch64) -M virt
-- and included OvmfPkg/QemuVideoDxe in the ArmVirtQemu.dsc build too.

That means you can currently stick a -device VGA into -M virt, and it
will work. Since OvmfPkg/QemuVideoDxe recognizes virtio-vga (see edk2

For some definition of work, yes :). It will work perfectly fine with TCG, you will run into cache coherency problems with KVM because the guest maps MMIO regions (like the vram) as uncached while QEMU accesses it as cached.

94210dc9 again), and the driver is included by ArmVirtQemu.dsc, I think
it would be probably useful to build the device model for arm/aarch64
targets too.

See also QEMU commit 332261de2b (together with its parent commits).

I agree. Also, as far as I understood Marc, his hope was that the fix to halfway working VGA emulation would be virtio-gpu.

Alex