qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtualising qmp_query_cpus() arch specifics

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtualising qmp_query_cpus() arch specifics
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:04:13 -0700

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 5:31 AM, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 09.07.2015 um 08:36 schrieb Peter Crosthwaite:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So for my multi-arch work, one of the eventual requirements is to
>> remove all #define TARGET_FOO from core code. I came across this in
>> cpus.c/qmp_query_cpus():
>>
>> #if defined(TARGET_I386)
>>         X86CPU *x86_cpu = X86_CPU(cpu);
>>         CPUX86State *env = &x86_cpu->env;
>> #elif defined(TARGET_PPC)
>>         PowerPCCPU *ppc_cpu = POWERPC_CPU(cpu);
>>         CPUPPCState *env = &ppc_cpu->env;
>>
>> #if defined(TARGET_I386)
>>         info->value->has_pc = true;
>>         info->value->pc = env->eip + env->segs[R_CS].base;
>> #elif defined(TARGET_PPC)
>>         info->value->has_nip = true;
>>         info->value->nip = env->nip;
>>
>> This should probably be a QOM CPU virtual function. What makes me
>> uneasy about it however, is a direct implementation means the QAPI
>> autogenerated CPUInfoList struct would need to be exposed to
>> target-foo/cpu.c. Is this ok or an abstraction fail? Do we need some
>> other other minimal struct to communicate between target-foo and QMP
>> with these particulars? Any third options?
>
> Wouldn't that just be a get_pc() matching your set_pc() hook?
>
> Unfortunately there's name differences above, pc vs. nip. Maybe we can
> just use a generic field and keep #ifdef stuff only as legacy compat?

Not sure I follow exactly. But I thought of another option. The
multi-arch work allows you to include multiple cpu.h's from code that
doesn't need the cpu-defs.h particulars. cpus.c should qualify. So it
is entirely possible that instead we keep this all local here and use
QOM RTTI:

#include target-foo/cpu.h
#include target-bar/cpu.h

if (object_dynamic_cast(cpu, TYPE_FOO) {
    FooCpu *foo_cpu = FOO_CPU(cpu);
} else if (object_dynamic_cast(cpu, TYPE_BAR) {
    BarCpu *bar_cpu = BAR_CPU(cpu);
}

This would push this cleanup until after the multi-arch main series.

Regards,
Peter