[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 00/13] spapr: vfio: Enable Dynamic DMA windo
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 00/13] spapr: vfio: Enable Dynamic DMA windows (DDW)
Fri, 3 Jul 2015 21:28:30 +1000
(cut-n-paste from kernel patchset)
Each Partitionable Endpoint (IOMMU group) has an address range on a PCI bus
where devices are allowed to do DMA. These ranges are called DMA windows.
By default, there is a single DMA window, 1 or 2GB big, mapped at zero
on a PCI bus.
PAPR defines a DDW RTAS API which allows pseries guests
querying the hypervisor about DDW support and capabilities (page size mask
for now). A pseries guest may request an additional (to the default)
DMA windows using this RTAS API.
The existing pseries Linux guests request an additional window as big as
the guest RAM and map the entire guest window which effectively creates
direct mapping of the guest memory to a PCI bus.
This patchset reworks PPC64 IOMMU code and adds necessary structures
to support big windows.
Once a Linux guest discovers the presence of DDW, it does:
1. query hypervisor about number of available windows and page size masks;
2. create a window with the biggest possible page size (today 4K/64K/16M);
3. map the entire guest RAM via H_PUT_TCE* hypercalls;
4. switche dma_ops to direct_dma_ops on the selected PE.
Once this is done, H_PUT_TCE is not called anymore for 64bit devices and
the guest does not waste time on DMA map/unmap operations.
Note that 32bit devices won't use DDW and will keep using the default
DMA window so KVM optimizations will be required (to be posted later).
This patchset adds DDW support for pseries. The host kernel changes are
required, available in the current upstream.
This patchset is based on git://github.com/dgibson/qemu.git spapr-next branch.
"spapr_pci: Enable vfio-pci hotplug" most likely will need rework and kernel
patches reached upstream but there is no specific tag in the kernel tree
to make kernel headers update - how to proceed in this case?
Wait for 4.2-rc-something?
Please comment. Thanks!
* removed "vfio: spapr: Move SPAPR-related code to a separate file"
* rebased on top of current dwg/spapr-next
* moved hw/vfio/* related patches to the end of the patchset
* included kernel headers update
* reworked "spapr_pci: Enable vfio-pci hotplug" a lot
* reworked unreferencing in "spapr_iommu: Introduce "enabled" state for TCE
* added clean-up patch "spapr_iommu: Remove vfio_accel flag from sPAPRTCETable"
* rebased on latest spapr-next
* bunch of cleanups, renames after David+Thomas+Michael review
* patches are reorganized and those which do not need the host kernel headers
update are put first and can be pulled if these are good enough :)
* spapr-pci-vfio-host-bridge is now a synonim of spapr-pci-host-bridge -
same PHB can host emulated and VFIO devices
* changed patches order
* lot of small changes
* TCE tables got "enabled" state and are persistent, i.e. not recreated
* added v2 of SPAPR_TCE_IOMMU
* fixed migration for emulated PHB with enabled DDW
* huge pile of other changes
* reimplemented the whole thing
* machine reset and ddw-reset RTAS call both remove all TCE tables and
create the default one
* IOMMU group id is not needed to use VFIO PHB anymore, multiple groups
are supported on the same VFIO container and virtual PHB
* removed "reset" from API now
* reworked machine versions
* applied multiple comments
* includes David's machine QOM rework as this patchset adds a new machine type
* tested on emulated PHB
* removed "ddw" machine property, now it is PHB property
* disabled by default
* defined "pseries-2.2" machine which enables DDW by default
* fixed reset() and reference counting
Alexey Kardashevskiy (13):
vmstate: Define VARRAY with VMS_ALLOC
spapr_pci: Convert finish_realize() to
spapr_iommu: Move table allocation to helpers
spapr_iommu: Introduce "enabled" state for TCE table
spapr_iommu: Remove vfio_accel flag from sPAPRTCETable
spapr_iommu: Add root memory region
spapr_pci: Do complete reset of DMA config when resetting PHB
spapr_vfio_pci: Remove redundant spapr-pci-vfio-host-bridge
spapr_pci: Enable vfio-pci hotplug
spapr_pci_vfio: Enable multiple groups per container
linux headers update for DDW on SPAPR
vfio: spapr: Add SPAPR IOMMU v2 support (DMA memory preregistering)
spapr_pci/spapr_pci_vfio: Support Dynamic DMA Windows (DDW)
hw/ppc/Makefile.objs | 3 +
hw/ppc/spapr.c | 5 +
hw/ppc/spapr_iommu.c | 211 +++++++++++++++++++++++------
hw/ppc/spapr_pci.c | 289 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
hw/ppc/spapr_pci_vfio.c | 191 +++++++++++++++------------
hw/ppc/spapr_rtas_ddw.c | 300 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
hw/ppc/spapr_vio.c | 9 +-
hw/vfio/common.c | 131 ++++++++++++++----
include/hw/pci-host/spapr.h | 49 +++++--
include/hw/ppc/spapr.h | 33 +++--
include/hw/vfio/vfio-common.h | 3 +
include/hw/vfio/vfio.h | 2 +-
include/migration/vmstate.h | 10 ++
linux-headers/linux/vfio.h | 88 ++++++++++++-
trace-events | 11 +-
15 files changed, 1087 insertions(+), 248 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 hw/ppc/spapr_rtas_ddw.c
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 00/13] spapr: vfio: Enable Dynamic DMA windows (DDW),
Alexey Kardashevskiy <=
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 07/13] spapr_pci: Do complete reset of DMA config when resetting PHB, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 01/13] vmstate: Define VARRAY with VMS_ALLOC, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 04/13] spapr_iommu: Introduce "enabled" state for TCE table, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 08/13] spapr_vfio_pci: Remove redundant spapr-pci-vfio-host-bridge, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 06/13] spapr_iommu: Add root memory region, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 05/13] spapr_iommu: Remove vfio_accel flag from sPAPRTCETable, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 12/13] vfio: spapr: Add SPAPR IOMMU v2 support (DMA memory preregistering), Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 09/13] spapr_pci: Enable vfio-pci hotplug, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v9 11/13] linux headers update for DDW on SPAPR, Alexey Kardashevskiy, 2015/07/03