qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] should KVM or userspace be the one which decides what M

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] should KVM or userspace be the one which decides what MIPIDR/affinity values to assign to vcpus?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:06:20 +0100

On 25 June 2015 at 09:00, Christoffer Dall <address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course, KVM can deny an unsupported configuration, but I am wondering
> if we really think anybody will care about the 'model such specific
> hardware' aspect with KVM, or if we should only consider the 'I want a
> VM with x VCPUs' scenario, in which case the second option below seems
> simpler to me.

I agree it's not very likely anybody cares about the specific cluster
topology. However if we don't want to support arbitrary topologies
then QEMU is going to end up in the business of editing the user
supplied device tree blob to make its cpu definitions match up with
whatever the kernel provides, which could be pretty tedious.

-- PMM