qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user crashes on clone(2) when run on ppc host

From: Emilio G. Cota
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user crashes on clone(2) when run on ppc host
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:36:25 -0400

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 09:58:27 +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 17 June 2015 at 01:52, Emilio G. Cota <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm having trouble running a simple multithreaded program on a PowerPC host
> > machine.
> >
> > The machine I'm using is a ppc VM--I think it's running under KVM (I'm using
> > OVH's RunAbove Power8 service):
> >   address@hidden:~/qemu$ uname -a
> >   Linux adsf 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:27:09 UTC 2014
> > ppc64le ppc64le ppc64le GNU/Linux
> >
> > address@hidden:~/qemu$ ppc64le-linux-user/qemu-ppc64le foo
>
> Multithreaded binaries don't work with linux-user; there are a bunch
> of known race conditions involving data structures we don't correctly
> lock or make per-thread.
>
> This is a long-standing issue; we're hoping we might get to fixing
> it some time this year.

I don't think this is a race because it also breaks when
run on a single core (with taskset -c 0).

What data structures are you referring to? Are they ppc-specific?
On x86 hosts linux-user works reliably with multithreaded apps.
I'd expect any races on common code to show up on x86 as well.

Thanks,

                Emilio