qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] fw cfg files cross-version migration races

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] fw cfg files cross-version migration races
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 16:10:54 +0200

Hi all,
At the moment we have devices adding and removing fw cfg file entries.
One problem is that this makes the contents of fw cfg
depend on order of device initialization.
Since the fw cfg file list is not migrated, this means that
guest will break if it is migrated between qemu versions
which generate the list diferently, and if migration triggers
while guest happens to read fw cfg.

As there are plans to extend the use of fw cfg, I think it's
important to fix this issue sooner rather than later.

Ideas:
        - sort fw cfg files by name before exposing them to guest
        - keep doing what we did for compat machine types,
          hope that things don't break too often

More ideas? Comments? Anyone wants to try implementing this?

--
MST