qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 00/34] Multi Architecture System Emulation

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 00/34] Multi Architecture System Emulation
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:44:45 +0200

On 31/05/2015 08:11, Peter Crosthwaite wrote:
> include/exec/*.h and some of the common code needs some refactoring to setup
> this single vs multi compile split. Mostly code movements.

Thanks for attempting this!

The best thing in this series is that a lot of changes can be done
piecewise and are perfectly acceptable even before the main multiarch
emulation goes in.  In fact, I hardly see for example any header file
change that is not acceptable (if done for all targets) as an
independent change.

There are two changes I'd make:

1) start with header file cleanups and de-ENV_GET_CPU-ification, then
core code changes, then build system changes.

2) organize patches so that the same changes are done at once to all
architectures.  This is of course not always applicable, but it can be
done for things such as changing the cpu.h include to target-FOO/cpu.h,
moving things out of cpu.h to new headers, and even #defining
CPU-specific types.

Paolo