qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio 1.0 state?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio 1.0 state?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 12:29:17 +0200

On Di, 2015-05-26 at 11:10 +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2015 15:56:13 +0200
> Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >   Hi,
> >
> > Where we are in terms of virtio 1.0 support in qemu?
> >
> > There hasn't been much activity in mst's virtio-1.0 branch recently, at
> > least not in the public version of it.  And it doesn't rebase easily to
> > latest master any more ;(
>
> FWIW, an untested branch with the virtio-1.0 patches + some of my
> virtio-1.0 stuff on top rebased against current master can be found
> here:
>
> git://github.com/cohuck/qemu virtio-1
>

> > What are the blocking issues?  Anything I can do to speed up things?
> > Any chance we can get the core changes merged (64bit features for
> > example), even if virtio 1.0 support for virtio-pci is not ready yet?
>
> The main issues currently are feature bit handling (legacy vs.
> transitional vs. modern) and migration. A prereq for fixing the first
> is moving host feature bits out of the transport, for which I have a
> patch floating around.

Have a pointer to that patch?

> The rest needs more thought before we can
> proceed, I fear.

Care to explain what the issues are in detail (mailing list pointers are
fine) and where I could possibly help?  I'm following virtio discussions
very briefly only, so I'm not fully up-to-date ...

I havn't really looked into any transport but pci, so I suspect /me
helping with migration would be more effective than looking into the
feature bit issues, especially as you started working on that
already ...

cheers,
  Gerd