qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ABNT2 keys again

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ABNT2 keys again
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 16:18:55 +0200

On Di, 2015-05-26 at 18:24 -0300, Joao Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I've tested an unpatched QEMU 2.3.0 (x86_64) with "-k pt_br" option and
> > the
> > "/?°" key works perfectly.
>
> From the manpage of qemu:
>
> -k language
>    Use keyboard layout language (for example "fr" for French). This option
> is only needed where it is not easy to get raw PC keycodes (e.g. on
> Macs, with some X11 servers or with a VNC display). You don't normally
> need to use it on PC/Linux or PC/Windows hosts.
>
> Do you think that using the -k option is the right solution to this problem?

General rule for -k:  If your keyboard layout is messed up try using -k,
otherwise don't bother.

When you use vnc -k might be needed, but whenever that is actually the
case depends on the vnc client.  There is a vnc extension to send raw
keycodes, if the vnc client supports that this gives best results, if it
doesn't you probably need -k for any non-us keyboard layout.

The usual virt-related clients (virt-manager, virt-viewer,
remote-viewer) support that vnc extension.

cheers,
  Gerd